Friday 13 March 2015

The 4 Types of Conditional Sentences

Zero-Type Conditional

The form of the zero conditional causes no problems since the present tenses are used in both clauses, 

Zero-type conditionals
If clause
Main or conditional clause
If + Present tense
Present tense
If you heat water
it boils.
The zero conditional is normally used to talk about facts and to express general truths.

First-Type Conditional

The basic form for this type of conditional sentence can be seen in the chart below. As before, the order of the clauses can be changed with no change in meaning.

First-type conditionals
If clause
Main or conditional clause
If + Present tense
Future tense
If they don't arrive soon
If they are late
we'll leave without them.
I'm going to be angry.
You will note that on the if side of the sentence any present tense can be used, while in the main clause the speaker is free to choose any future that helps to express any additional meaning that the speaker wants to express.

If he's sleeping, he will not wake up until morning. (The present continuos in the first part of the sentence expresses the present temporary nature of the situation and the will in second part is making prediction about the future).

Alan is going to post me the recipe, if he finds it. (In the first clause I am expressing Alan's intention so going to is the best future to use, while the second clause contains  a simple present tense).

If he's staying at the party, I'm leaving. (In the first clause I am thinking about the possible current state of affairs, so I choose the present continuos, while in the second  I am reffering to the future plan that I have in mind should he decide to stay, so again I choose the present continuos).

If you have finished the essay, leave it on my desk. (By using the present perfent tense in the if clause I am stressing the completed nature of the action, while in the second clause I have used an imperative, which has a future meaning).

Second-Type Conditional

This type is often called the hypothetical or 'unreal' future conditional since it is usually used to speculate about either very unlikely future situations or present and future impossibilities.

Second-type conditionals
If clause
Main or conditional clause
If + Past tense
would + verb
If I had time
If I had wings
I would drop you off at school.
I would fly.
  
Third-Type Conditional

This type refers to hypotetical situations in the past. In this case we use the past perfect tenses in the if clause and would + have in the main clause, 

Third-type conditionals
If clause
Main or conditional clause
If + Past Perfect tense
would have + past participle
If I had known about his condition
If we had known about the storm
I would have phoned for you earlier.
we wouldn't have started our journey.

The main uses of the third conditional are for speculating about the past, expressing regrets, excusing our own actions and criticising others. 

https://www.tesol-direct.com/guide-to-english-grammar/conditional-sentences
 

No comments:

Post a Comment